Which Exam to Give for Which Course to Study Abroad?

Updated: August 25th, 2021, 09:57:26 IST
Published: August 25th, 2021
Which Exam to Give for Which Course to Study Abroad?
Title: Which Exam to Give for Which Course to Study Abroad?

Many students in India dream since their childhood to study abroad. Every year, thousands of aspirants immigrate to all parts of the world to complete their higher education and also might settle down in future. If you are planning to study abroad, the admissions process will require you to take one language exam and one standardized exam.

If you are making plans to study abroad, the admission procedure will require you to take a foreign language exam and a standardized exam. However, depending on the country, course, college or university you are targeting, you may be exempt from the standardized exams, but you will still need to take a language exam to demonstrate your English proficiency. Depending on the course and the college / university, you may also be asked to provide grades on a standardized test.

First of all, candidates pass out from high school education, few among them complete graduation and then select a university and country. After that you need to find out which test the university accepts for granting admissions.

Then the journey begins to prepare for that test.

So we will be talking about which test is applicable for which course and which universities accept that test. Because the native language of the country where we live is different from the language where we have to go, therefore almost all universities ask for a language test to be cleared by the prospective candidates.

Exams to Study Abroad: One Language Exam

One language exam which are must to be cleared by the candidates:

The language exam shows your English skills - listening, reading, writing and speaking practices. You must pass at least one of the other language exams to gain admission to any university in an English speaking country. These tests are required to take most courses such as undergraduate courses, graduate courses, certificates or diplomas (unless otherwise stated).


The two main English tests accepted at universities around the world are the test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Getting a specific score on one of these tests can help you study in English at the school of your choice, so it can be an essential part of the study abroad process.

TOEFL vs IELTS for study abroad

1) IELTS: International English Language Testing System The IELTS exam is the preferred exam for getting admission to universities in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

IELTS Score is valid for two years.

2) TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language The TOEFL exam is the preferred exam for universities in the US and Canada. The TOEFL test is accepted for admissions by U.K. universities for courses at degree level and above, including all of the prestigious Russell Group universities.

TOEFL scores are also valid for two years.

3) PTE: Pearson Test of English The PTE is accepted by thousands of institutions in the UK, Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland, including Harvard, Yale and INSEAD.

The scores of the PTE Academic exam are valid for a period of two years.

The TOEFL is more commonly accepted by American institutions, while the IELTS is more commonly accepted overseas, but many schools accept scores from either exam. However, a school may have a preference to which test you take, so that is also worth checking out.

Standardised Entrance Exam for Foreign Universities

Entrance exams to study abroad depend on courses and university that may vary. The exams required to study different courses are different. Depending on the courses you choose, you will need to take entrance exams for a specific course and university you apply to. So, if you are going to pursue MS, you need to take the MS exam abroad. Likewise, if you are going to study MBA abroad, then you have to take the MBA exams abroad. In addition, there are different standardized entrance tests for different countries.

Courses / Programs Exams Name Country
Undergraduate SAT or ACT US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand
Medical MCAT US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand
Law LSAT US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand
MBA GMAT or GRE US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand
MS GRE US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand
and Diploma
TOEFL, IELTS or PTE US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand

Exams with Scholarship Benefits

The most popular and important entrance exams for studying abroad are GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL, SAT and ACT. Outstanding performance in these international competitions can also get students financial aid in the form of scholarships. Many colleges and universities take into account aspirants performance in these international entrance exams to award scholarships to aspirants at the time of admission.

Study Abroad after 12th

Those students who have cleared their higher secondary have the option to give various entrance exams for studying abroad. SAT, ACT, GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS are some of the important standardized tests which students can take. The choice of exam always depends on the course, college, and country where you want to go.